Thursday, May 03, 2007

Who Did Jesus Claim To Be?

John 8:24-25  I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that I am the one I claim to be, you will indeed die in your sins.”  “Who are you?” they asked. “Just what I have been claiming all along,” Jesus replied.

Everything rests on the true identity of Jesus. For the Christ follower, our identity is rooted in his identity. Jesus was very concerned that his identity was being correctly interpreted. That is why he asked the disciples traveling with him, "Who do people say I am?” As a follow up he asked, “Who do you say I am?” (
Matthew 16:13-16; Mark 8:27-30; Luke 9:18-20)

Who is Jesus? What or who does Jesus claim to be? I looked up all the places in the Bible where Jesus uses the words “I am.” I was specifically interested in the places where those words referred to who he claimed to be. One of the most interesting statements I found was in John 14:20 where Jesus says, “I am in you.” Think about that while you read through a few selected “I am” statements below. This one you are reading about, Jesus, wants to live in, and through, you!

  • I am gentle and humble in heart… Matthew 11:29
  • I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob… Matthew 22:32
  • I am with you always, to the very end of the age. Matthew 28:20
  • I am,” said Jesus. [the Christ, the Son of the Blessed One] Mark 14:62
  • I am among you as one who serves. Luke 22:27
  • I am the bread of life. John 6:48
  • I am the light of the world. John 8:12
  • I tell you the truth, Jesus answered, before Abraham was born, I am! John 8:58
  • I am the light of the world. John 9:5
  • I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— John 10:14
  • I am God’s Son... John 10:36
  • I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; John 11:25
  • You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and rightly so, for that is what I am. John 13:13
  • I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. John 14:6
  • I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. John 14:20
  • I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. John 15:5
  • You are right in saying I am a king. John 18:37

No comments:

Post a Comment