Friday, October 16, 2009

Proving God Exists, Part 1, Introduction

Recently a friend asked me, “How do we KNOW, other than something we feel in our heart, that there is a God?” So far the only answer she had been given by anyone was, “When you know God, and he is in your heart, there is no doubt.”

I was bothered that my friend had not been given a better answer. Essentially my friend was told, “If you want to be sure God exists, you just need to know God.” That’s a bit circular.

Is It Possible to Prove the Existence of God?

How does one definitively answer that question? Is it even possible to “prove” the existence of a supernatural being? My well-worn copy of Webster’s dictionary defines the supernatural as “an order of existence beyond the visible, observable universe.” The same dictionary also states the supernatural departs “from what is usual or normal, especially so as to appear to transcend the laws of nature.” If something is not visible or observable and is not confined by the “laws” that customarily govern our understanding of the world, how can we “prove” that which is beyond our ability to observe or to fully understand?

The Subjective Nature of Proof

Another challenge we face is the subjective nature of proof. Consider a criminal trial by jury. In our system of justice, twelve people are asked to judge the proof presented by an attorney to judge whether or not a person is proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. My extensive legal education, obtained from watching way too many reruns of Law and Order, has taught me there are trials that end in hung juries, where the jurors have an irreconcilable difference of opinion as to guilt or innocence. In other words, the evidence that was presented was enough for some to KNOW the defendant is guilty, but not enough for others to KNOW the same thing.

Why We Call It Faith

With these challenges in mind, perhaps this is why we refer to any system of thought that acknowledges a belief in the supernatural as a “faith” system. That same Webster’s dictionary to which I referred earlier offers the following as one definition of faith, “firm belief in something for which there is no proof.”

Does Proof Matter?

I guess these are just a couple of the problems we encounter as we try to answer this question. Perhaps that is why my friend got the answer she was given. Perhaps it is impossible to “prove” that God exists according to the laws of evidence in a courtroom, by scientific method, or by mathematical equation. However, I’m not sure how much that matters.

While there are many who are honestly seeking proof of the truth, for most, I suspect proof is irrelevant. Most of the discussion I am finding on this topic is put forth by those on one side or the other seeking to bolster what they already believe. No matter what proof is offered, they will cling to their predetermined belief. After all, even today there are people who believe, in spite of all scientific data to the contrary, the world is flat. (See International Flat Earth Society.)

In some ways I fall into that camp. I clearly believe in the existence of God. More specifically, I believe in God as revealed to us through the Christian Bible, and because I find so much benefit through what I believe, I want others to believe as well.  Even though I personally feel no need to bolster my belief with an effort to construct data and philosophy that would support it, I understand how such efforts might be helpful to others.  Therefore, I am willing to make the effort.  

If I am unable to prove the existence of God in a way that would satisfy standards accepted in a court of law or in a scientific laboratory, it does not mean God does not exist. It only means I was incapable of proving it by standards generally accepted in our culture.  However, I hope to add enough “evidence” that it will help move some closer to accepting this vital truth.

Walking in the Shoes of Others

That being said, I hope to set myself apart from those who do not make an honest attempt to put themselves in the shoes of those who struggle with believing in the existence of God; those who may even want to believe in God’s existence. I hope my views are sensitive to their concerns and not condescending. Too often honest seekers with questions have been dismissed because their questions were hard to answer. Sometimes they were even ridiculed. Such responses were, and are, harmful rather than helpful.

Join Me in the Journey

Over the next few weeks, as I think and research this topic, I hope you will be patient with me. This is not easy writing for me to do, since I have not given much thought to proving the existence of God. Having always accepted the idea that God is real, I’ve never felt the need to “prove” it.

I am looking forward to this process, and I invite you to join me with your thoughts, even if they run counter to mine. Our honest opinions and responses will help us to sharpen each other’s thinking, and I am sure you will think of things I have not considered.  Your questions are also welcome.  I cannot promise I will always be able to provide an answer, but you will get an honest, genuine response.

No comments:

Post a Comment