Monday, January 26, 2015

Don't Surrender to Fear

In reading the book of Joshua I am struck by how often God encourages Joshua not to be afraid. Joshua must have been dealing with fear for the Lord to encourage him to be strong and courageous. When I remember who Joshua was, I find myself encouraged that this great, seemingly fearless leader of God’s people had to receive regular encouragement from God not to be afraid. His willingness to overcome his fear and trust God was what allowed him to lead the Hebrew people to take possession of the Promised Land.

I seldom think of myself as “fearful.” I use words like common sense and wisdom sometimes when what I really am is afaid. I can provide lists of why I have not moved forward to blaze the trails for God in this world that I’ve dreamed about. When I’m really honest with myself and others, it’s fear that holds me back; fear of failure, fear of looking stupid, fear of not having the approval of others, and even fear of what I might lose in terms of material possessions and finances.

Today I hear the voice of God whispering to me in the same way he whispered to Joshua millenia ago. He says to me be strong and courageous. Fear not. I will be with you. You will succeed.

Those whispers are not for me alone. They are for you. What dreams has God given you to advance his cause? What fears are holding you back? Listen! You will hear him say to you...
"Remember that I have commanded you to be determined and confident! Don’t be afraid or discouraged, for I, the Lord your God, am with you wherever you go." (Joshua 1:9, GNB) 

No comments:

Post a Comment