Thursday, December 16, 2010

Is my life with God lame?

I learned a new word this morning as I was reading Oswald Chambers’ My Utmost for His HighestThe word gave me new insight into both my life with God and the story of Jacob wrestling with God found in Genesis 32:22-30.

Chambers encourages us not to become “a hirpler in God’s ways.” (A hirpler is one who walks with a limp or a gait somewhere between walking and limping.)  Chambers says that we become such when we wrestle against God and implies this is precisely what happened with Jacob.  We must always be ready to wrestle against the things that keep us from God or to wrestle for people in prayer, but that is quite a different thing than wrestling against God.

It made we wonder.  Is my life with God lame?  Do I embrace Him fully and completely or only when it suits me?  If I only embrace Him when and how it suits me, then am I not wrestling against God, sometimes embracing Him and other times resisting Him?  Can I characterize my life with God as a confident walk or is it really just a notch above crawling?

The last thing I want to do is to cripple myself, or others, in my pursuit of God.  Today I am asking myself, “In what ways to a wrestle against God instead of wrestling for Him?”  If the answers to that question leads me into a more genuine, authentic walk with Him, then pondering the question was time well spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment